As a massage therapist my goal is to help clients achieve and/or maintain wellness using a combination of modalities for optimal results. Bodywork at Connections Massage is best described as Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT). Neuromuscular Therapy is a group of soft tissue manipulation techniques that help balance the central nervous system (brain, spinal column and nerves). The same principles apply to how the central nervous system initiates pain response.
The five principles to Neuromuscular Therapy are:
- Postural Distortion: incorrect posture no matter the cause.
- Bio-mechanical Dysfunctions: ways you may use your body that increase the likelihood of pain and or injury.
- Trigger Points: these are hyper irritable focal points located in a taut band of muscle tissue .
- Nerve Compression/Entrapment: the nerve becomes trapped under muscle or tendon causing pain, numbness or tingling.
- Ischemia: a lack of blood supply to the soft tissues, which causes sensitivity and susceptibility to cold.